Monday, January 10, 2011

Happy New Year! vague resolutions and hair plans

So we're into a new year and I'm starting to get impatient for results.  My hair has been growing, as it always does.  It has been growing quickly too.  Even that isn't that big of a surprise.  My issue is that it's not as thick as I want it to be.  I remember being 15 years old, at the hairdresser getting styled for my auntie's wedding.  The stylist had to spend 3 hours putting ringlets in my hair with the curling iron....just because it was so thick.  I remember having fat ponytails even when I had a perm..and that is supposed to flatten and thin out the texture of your hair.  So why, now that it is mainly natural, and I've been attempting to grow it long and healthy does it seem to be thinner.

I'm sure youth plays some role.  Little kids always have thick healthy, strong hair.  my hair benefits sometimes from being left alone. however, I no longer work from home or in a funky artsy non-profit where I can rock head wraps on a daily basis...nor is that the style right now.  I feel like a brat for complaining, but I want more this year.  My focus has switched from length to strength.

So as not to get all stuck on the negatives, here are a few positive updates.  I have started to deep condition.  Rather, I have done so a few times lately.  I had time over the holidays and found it to result in leaving my hair so much easier to cope with.  The best beauty aid:  HONEY.  Yup.  I read about it online and tried it three times.  I made a mix using coconut oil, Roux Porosity Control Conditioner...and Live Clean Leave In condishRoux Porosity Control Corrector & ConditionerAfter leaving the conditioner mix on my head for 45 mins to an hour under a plastic bag, I found shiny, wavy locks that had a lot of movement and bounce when dried and styled later.   I caved and pressed my hair like 3 times over the holidays.  I was trying to limit it to once a month.  I'm realizing that goal will be much easier in the summer months.  The winter is very tough of hair, and having it wet more often sucks in the first place, but combining that with air drying in the house and letting my hair shrink up really hasn't been working for me.  I feel like a beat my hair up more when I don't press it.  I fuss with it more.  Maybe that will change as it gets longer.  Which reminds me I need to pick up some soft elastics.  I can't find any of those things around.

i'm running out of Cocunt oil too.  It's really great stuff!Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, 15-Ounce Tubs (Pack of 2)i need to get more of that, and i'd like to try castor oil too.  I've heard that it's good for the scalp. I would like to try this since my scalp is dry and itchy in the winter.  BTW, as for the trim I said I would get....I gave myself a tiny one more for shape...but I need to go on a search and destry mission.  I have to get rid of the splits.  I sometimes wonder if that's why my ponytail doesn't seem thick....like if certain hairs just don't seem to be growing past a certain length.  Gotta do better!

No comments:

Post a Comment